buds


Our valley has its own microclimate, and spring has come very late. It took a long time to spot buds on the branches, but they are finally here.

Martin Luther King Jr.'s  famous quote about the arc of the universe references an 1853 sermon by the minister Theodore Parker, a Transcendentalist and abolitionist:
I do not pretend to understand the moral universe. The arc is a long one. My eye reaches but little ways. I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by experience of sight. I can divine it by conscience. And from what I see I am sure it bends toward justice.
In a week of earthquakes and riots, the buds remind me to be hopeful. Like all growing things, we keep going on. We fail and learn and fail and learn and then we try again. We do our best to help and make things better. Slowly, often much too painfully, things move forward.

Flowers will come.