lately

Seven deaths; two at the hands of the police. A four-year-old in the car. Bombs in marketplaces and airports. 49 killed in a nightclub. Boats filled with terrified people who can't find a safe place. Children drowning. Bombs and guns and oblivious politicians. A photo of a little girl standing on a toilet, practicing a lockdown drill for a school shooter. A major party candidate for president who wants to build walls and torture people.

I want to do something. I don't know what to do.

My baby is learning to walk. He stands: one step, fall. Two, three, four. He falls again and again, and I am learning not to gasp. He gets up, and tries again. He gets a little farther every day.

I don't know what to do, but standing up is the first part.

*

Learn, Vote and Get in the Streets: What You Can Do Today to End Police Violence