odds and ends / 3.23.2017











I've sat down at my keyboard many times in the past few weeks, wanting to write, but I'm out of practice organizing my thoughts.

I find myself missing blogging circa 2008, when I still was figuring out what a blog could be and made a post out of whatever seemed interesting. In that spirit, here are some odds and ends — some shared on Twitter, some on Pinterest, and some rescued from the languishing depths of desktop folders and bookmark files:

Objects:
Haford Grange Goat's Beard paperweight
Drake's pocket squares (horse and tiger)
Yellow sandals (A Détacher Highsmith)
Dappled leather pom pom

*
Q. What are the five important ingredients in your kitchen?  
A. Sea beets, dried mushrooms, apples, mint and dandelion.
Roger Phillips, interviewed in The Gannet (discovered thanks to Jessica Stanley).

*

A stained glass cabin featuring an owl with agate eyes and a spiderweb with dewdrops made of antique cut-glass crystals that make rainbows when the light is right.

The same artist makes a honeycomb suncatcher.

*
I wish I was a deliberate Kushner tortoise:



Tony Kushner, 'We Call That Failure Art.'

*

'Translating Borges into Trees: An Interview With Book Artist Katie Holten'

*
Tom Nichols, The Death of Expertise:
To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they’re wrong about anything. It is a new Declaration of Independence: No longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that aren’t true. All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.
*

A brass bubble machine.

*

Two new(ish) books I want to read:
Teju Cole: Known and Strange Things.
Derek Walcott and Peter Doig: Morning, Paramin.

*

'TV show contestants spend year in wilderness – with no one watching.'

*

*