odds and ends / 6.2.2017















Pictured:
Text found by stopping off place.
Milton Avery (1885-1965), Sitters by the Sea.
Julianne Swartz, Bubble Portrait (cloud swirl), 2005, found thanks to A Cup of Jo.
Dandelion discard pile by Studio Drift, found thanks to bonbon oiseau.
Photo of worm trails in silty mud I snapped a few weeks ago.

*
It’s hard to imagine anyone consciously choosing to leave a legacy of impoverishment, economic disruption, increasingly bizarre weather, health impacts ranging from heat strokes to spread of diseases, rising sea levels and flooding — but that is just what the president has done.

*



Walter Kirn, "You Can Run ..." Harpers April 2017.


*

In news of ordinary life, we've been checking cookbooks out of the library; I'm testing out this and this. We made these yogurt biscuits this morning; as you might expect, not quite as good as a cream or buttermilk biscuit, but still passably biscuity when warm from the oven.

Recent reads I'd recommend: Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi; The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead, and The Emigrants by W.G. Sebald. This weekend is the Case Book Sale, and I'm looking forward to making a wholly-unrealistic summer reading list from whatever I find there.

Art-wise: looking forward to Brand-New and Terrific; hoping to see Gray Matters.

On TV: captivated by American Epic and Victorian Slum House.

*

Toni Morrison on work: 'I have never considered the level of labor to be the measure of myself, and I have never placed the security of a job above the value of home.'

*

'I wish I loved lawnmowers.'

SaveSaveSaveSave