imaginary outfit: friday night dance party

 



It started in the fall with turning on some music after dinner on Friday nights and dancing around a little bit before the kid's bath time. Then, some curtain lights went up for Christmas in November and never got taken down; those get turned to flash mode (sometimes they sync with the beat: magic). Next, play silks and a flip-sequin snake came on the scene, and now every Friday night, for a half-hour or so, we go wild. A small kid with a glitter snake wrapped around his neck takes flying leaps off the couch while his parents twirl scarves through the air and bust moves last seen several vibe shifts ago.

I have no idea how long this kid will want to dance like a fool with us (six is a golden, golden age!), so I am making the most of it. I'm stalking resale sites for sparkly accessories that can be tossed on top of PJs and sweats (plus of the at-home dance-party: comfort rules). My search history now includes "eco-conscious body glitter" and "used disco mirror ball" and "Lurex." Color-change lightbulbs are being contemplated. 

I wasn't expecting to spend my 43rd year dressing for/throwing at-home child-friendly nano raves, but sometimes life turns out so much better than you expect in these weird small ways. Now, I have to go think up tonight's playlist ... 

*