imaginary outfit: a day-and-a-half knocking around new york city

 

Other than a frantic hour last August for a strategic bagel acquisition/bookstore bathroom break, I have not been back in New York City since the pandemic started. It's strange to have been away for so long from a place that was once home. Barring illness, delays, or other catastrophes, I will be there again this week for a very short visit, and I have been having fun contemplating improbable itineraries. Here's one:

Day 1: Arrive in the afternoon. Drop off bag and set out seeking Karma (bookstore and galleries) to look at Thaddeus Mosley's trees and Paul Mogensen's mathematical processes. Buy an imprudent number of heavy books, then pop into The Fortnight Institute to see Leonard Baby's pretty pictures. Stockpile sugar from Economy Candy and wander in and out of Top Hat, Bode, and Sweet Pickle Books, before wending over to Oroboro, C'H'C'M, and John Derian to buy something for my mom. Wind up at The Drawing Center to get lost in mythic worlds. Do I have time to sneak into the Renee Gladman exhibit at Artists Space? How fast can I walk and look? Dinner with friends.

Day 2: Up early-early for glorious, glorious lox at Russ & Daughters Cafe, then a train uptown and strolling near the Reservoir in Central Park until The Met opens. After admiring the scholar stones in Gallery 213, a long amble downtown (with stops to contemplate the cerulean ceiling at Albertine and the small boats) to see the new Kiki Smith murals in Grand Central, and then maybe MoMA for Ming Smith. Pause for a restorative buerre et jambon sandwich at L'Ami Pierre, hoard pens and other necessities of life at MUJI and walk down Library Way, then to Chelsea for Ja'Tovia Gary at Paula Cooper, Miyoko Ito at Matthew Marks, and Charles Atlas at Luhring Augustine. A look around at Printed Matter on 11th if I can make it there before they close, with a stop at 192 Books. (My vacation tradition is to stress the zippers on my carryon by cramming it with books.) Walk and walk and walk until my feet complain, and then acquire Thai food.

Day 3: Another early morning and a long train ride to the Upper West Side. Egg bagels from Absolute and a walk in my old neighborhood. On to the airport.

Mostly, though, I will be so happy to walk and walk and walk and see where I find myself.

*
Anine Bing fleece coat (the 2019 HYKE x North Face long fleece coat is my unobtainable ideal, though) / Malo fuzzy hat / Stella McCartney 48mm round tortoiseshell specs / russety sweater, like Sakaya Davis or IOLO / Comme des Garçons flowery pants (with long johns under, if it is chilly; in my dream, these flowery balloon pants would be a soft, medium-weight flannel, akin to cozy pajamas) / Rachel Comey Bond earrings / Cirque nail polish in Zeitgeist / Pedrolino travel mug by Debbie Carlos / Portage "Pocket" notebook (I get these at my local hardware store) and green Artline Fineline pen, for notes / Auxiliary pockets for masks of varying intensities, Metrocards, museum postcards, and various souvenirs, a.k.a. Clare V. denim tote of yore / Hansel from Basel daisy socks / New Balance 1906R sneakers / something to read that folds up small and can be recycled when I'm done.