comet diamonds








The Camelopdalids meteor shower was a bit of a bust, but in a random search for starry matter in the wilds of the internet, I discovered comet-themed jewelry. 

Advances in astronomy in the 1700s and 1800s lead to the discovery of many new comets, and in 1835 and 1910 Halley's Comet made spectacular appearances, feeding comet-fever and inspiring jewelers to create asymmetrical brooches that evoked the comet's head and tail. I love the idea of collecting a piece or two.

I hope to see Halley's Comet again; when I saw it in 1986, there was an elderly lady there who told me she had seen it as a little girl. If I am around when it returns in 2061, the old lady will be me.

Read more about comet jewelry here + here.

Pictured:

Related: my favorite astronomer, Caroline Herschel, who "swept the sky" and was the first woman to discover a comet. You can read more about her remarkable story (and her remarkable brother William) in Richard Holmes' delightful The Age of Wonder (highly recommended).